
Many of you know that Paris started a fantastic bike rental program on July 14th. It began getting international press months ago, and all of you know how I love and advocate bicycling. I'm happy to report that it has been a smashing success. It is extremely popular, and you see people using the bicycles all over town.
Unfortunately, one needs a French bank card to rent a bicycle, and my foreign cards don't work. I was very disappointed at first, but I love walking around Paris, so I managed. Besides, just knowing about the program made me so happy that I felt a visceral thrill every time I saw someone on a Vélib' bike--and that was a lot! I wish that every city had a program like this! It is brilliant! Think of all of the gasoline not being used! And all of the exercise people are getting! And it is just fun! And the bikes are too heavy, but they're pretty cute!
Anyway, back to this blog post. As a good-bye gift, my friend Faouez rented two bikes for us to troll around on a bit! I got to use Vélib'! Here is the documentation:
A Vélib' Station Near St. Michel
Faouez is renting the bikes in the first picture.




Riding Around Paris on a Vélib' Bike
No, I'm not wearing a helmet. Yes, you should always wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle. I strongly advocate bike helmets--really, just as strongly as I advocate bicycling. However, no one wears helmets here (except serious racing cyclists), and they don't come with the bike rentals, so I made an exception. But don't think that I've stopped wearing or encouraging bike helmets. Always wear a bike helmet when you bike. Unless it is your chance to use Vélib, and then, well, use your discretion.

Yes, this is a cute picture, but also notice that there's a woman to Faouez's right also on a Vélib' bike! At one point, we were biking along the Seine surrounded by at least 8 other people on Vélib' bikes! A smashing success, I tell you! I love it!

These Segway tours seem popular, but how boring when you could be on a Vélib'.

Obligatory Photo-op at Trocadero!



Returning the Bikes
There is a Vélib' station approximately every 300 meters in central Paris--and more are coming! Part of the program's success rests on there being lots of stations, so that there is lots of turn-over. To prevent stations from becoming too full or too empty, there are trucks that redistribute them. I saw one today, but didn't get to my camera in time to get a picture. Part of why my inability to participate was so disappointing was because this station in the photos below is exactly one block from my apartment! But to be honest, I'm not disappointed now that I was able to try it at least once! Hurray for Vélib'! And thank you, Faouez!

No comments:
Post a Comment