Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sterling Whirled

I'm just now getting regular internet access with my own computer, the absence of which put a serious dent in my blogging with pictures capacity. And I didn't want to fail in my duty to provide ooh-la-la, and images make that a good bit easier. I arrived in Ithaca last Friday, and have been busily settling in and trying to attend to other responsibilities despite the fact that I'm distracted by our ongoing lack of a kitchen trashcan and a dining room table.

But before I get to Ithaca, you haven't heard about my trip to Kentucky! Many of you were there, and you know that I had a fabulous visit. For those of you who were there, and for those of you who were not so fortunate to be in the Gateway community of the Bluegrass state, some highlights:



OK, this is more for the edification of some of you. This is tobacco growing in our neighbor's field.







On one of my first evenings home, I accompanied my Aunt Lu, who has eschewed conventional retirement for the crazed schedule of a real estate agent, to a home to take photographs. While she documented the house, I documented her and the creepy porcelain dolls contained in the house.





We then went to a "big band" performance in front of the courthouse in downtown Mt. Sterling. This consisted of two vocalists, one of whom was also an instrumentalist, singing and playing along to recorded Big Band music. Despite this hurdle, we had a lovely time socializing and taking in the scenery, which I've shared with you above.


Many of you know that I'm not a huge fan of board games, but sometimes I'll play them as a way of spending time with family. But rest assured, my vague disinclination toward board games did not prevent me from winning this round of Monopoly that Dad, Norma, Hagan, Cameron, and I played.










I spent one fun morning with Aunt Lu and my cousins Catie, Allie, and Leah. Allie has learned quite complicated cake decorating techniques and made a cookie to welcome Janie and me back to town!




We were preparing for the 95th birthday party of a close family friend, who we know as Aunt Emma. Here, Leah is concentrating very hard to count to 95.



We then went to lunch at Aroma's, a restaurant which had changed locations since my last visit. The owners evidently underwent a simultaneously religious and culinary awakening in between downtown Mt. Sterling and downtown Camargo. All items on the menu now have biblically-themed, or at least Calvinist-themed names. I had the Feeding the Multitudes Salmon Salad. If I weren't lactose intolerant, I would have been all over the Peaches and Cream Virtuous Woman Salad.


I couldn't get enough of the gustatory proselytizing, and later went back to Aroma's with Mama Lena and Kris.







Above you see some highlights from Aunt Emma's 95th birthday party, which was a spectacular success. I took notes on what I'll hope for on my 95th (Yes on the crowds, the cake, and the flowers, but I also expect mine to have champagne and last until midnight).





But the wildest party I attended was a luau-themed one hosted by some friends of my parents. Above you can see Dad and Norma decked out in faux leis with their faux mai-tais. Norma won the limbo contest and I won the hula hoop contest. There were only two contests.



You may not know this about me, but I can hula hoop for a very long time, if need be.



I caught up for a fun evening with some close high school friends and their children.






That last one is part of the MySpace fodder I was collecting for Kim...






Rachel and I were entertained by what we found after searching for a mailbox in downtown Lexington. My sister was unimpressed by these photos, explaining that such playful creations are all over the country, and that Lexington is not special to have them. Rachel and I are entertained nonetheless.







My sister arrived just before I left, and Norma organized a lovely barbeque with family for us. Because Kentucky has been experiencing a drought, it was quite fortunate that it rained. The precipitation did not work out so well for the party, though, but we had a lovely time indoors.


And now I'm in Ithaca. The apartment is shaping up to be quite adorable. I'll be posting some pictures of what it looked like when the previous tenants lived there and what it looks like once it has been Tara-fied and Amanda-ized as soon as it has been properly transformed!

No comments: