Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand

Former French president Francois Mitterand chose a library as the grand presidential project that would receive his name, and if you've heard it is a unique complex, you heard correctly. Here are some pictures! Maybe commentary will follow. Maybe not. I'm packing up, because I leave France on Monday!

The movie theater and shops adjacent to the library:

Notice that there is a restaurant named Chez Jules et Jim. If you don't know the film Jules et Jim , watch it tonight! Or at least put it on your Netflix queue.

There are four high buildings that make corner shapes around a sunken garden surrounded by the reading rooms. If that doesn't make sense, well, the building doesn't really make sense while you're in it, either.









I hope to do actual research at the library at some point, but the other day, I was just there to check out the building and to see an exposition on Vogue magazine. Here is the introductory panel:

No comments: