Monday, July 16, 2007

Ooh-La-La: Home and Garden Edition

I spent last Thursday in Versailles. After I got on the train heading in the direction, I realized that I had not left Paris since I arrived about just over a month before. It isn't that I'm not eager to see more of France, and indeed, Europe, but there is just so much more here that I want to do that it really hadn't occurred to me to leave.

But about Versailles. As fascinating as I find dead French royalty, I was really there for decorating ideas and because the numerous mirrors afforded opportunities for me to try those clever self-portraits I keep hoping to give you.

Most of you know that I'll be moving into a new apartment soon, and the numerous color schemes at Versailles gave me plenty of inspiration. For instance, Tara and I will have a yellow living room, and I really love how understated this room is:




Our dining room is red, and with some modifications for scale, I thought that we could copy this extremely warm and welcoming space:




And one of the walls in my bedroom will be green, and this modest suite seems like something just right for a grad student:





But joking aside, isn't this a sweet couch?






The chateau and accompanying buildings were interesting, but I really enjoyed the gardens more. Some highlights:






2 comments:

Honna said...

That sounds very logical dear, model your apartment after Versailles. I am sure Tara will be up for that. By the way, I love the pink couch too.

Amanda said...

Tara's going to love it. It is a good thing that she doesn't read my blog!