Monday, July 9, 2007

Bois de Vincennes: The Other Lung of Paris

It is difficult to keep you guys caught up on everything! It is difficult for me to stay caught up, myself! I'm already dealing with preparations for the fall, but all for very good things. The good news:
1. My position at the Johnson for next year has worked out!
2. Cedi and I have received our contracts for the conference in Turkey in November! Now, we just need to get the paper written by October (which means August, because it will be painful if I wait until the semester starts to do it...).
3. There's other stuff, but I won't publish it on the internet yet. Just know that I'm overbooked for the next year, already. Start making your appointments with me now.

Anyway, right now, I'm still in Paris and still thrilled to bits about it. I've been spending lots of time in the Musée du quai Branly library, so now the librarians are getting quite friendly and talkative. They like to hear about the U.S. and New York City, especially. And today, I read Vogue magazines from the 1920's and 1930's in the library of the Musée des arts décoratifs for most of the day. It is a truly cruel world for me, I'll tell you.

Last Saturday, I went to Bois de Vincennes, which my guidebook tells me is one of the "lungs" of Paris, along with Bois de Boulogne, the park near my house which I've mentioned before. The 1931 Colonial Exposition that is related to my current research was held in the Bois de Vincennes, so I wanted to see what it is like now. There just happened to be a Brazilian Carnaval-style event in progress near the former Musée des Colonies, which is now an aquarium. It was closed that day, so I need to go back. But I walked around more of the park, which is--unsurprisingly, since this is Paris and all--scenic. Scenic enough to include some swans.

The first few pictures are of an amazing drum and dance group that was performing as part of the Carnaval:











The Palais de la Porte Dorée Aquarium tropical


Lake Daumesnil in Bois de Vincennes.


The swans and me. Note the awesome new red shoes. Thanks, Les Soldes.

No comments: