I saw many, many objects relevant to my research today, and one of the most relevant and important is this chair:

Pierre Legrain made it for the famous fashion designer and art collector Jacques Doucet in the mid-1920's, and it is inspired by African art. The jewelry was also very interesting, and I found all sorts of citations in the bookstore (now if I could only decide which books that I should buy here, and which I should just wait to try to acquire in the U.S....)
But back to chairs:
The section of the museum devoted to the decorative arts of the 1960's was populated largely by chairs, and I could not help but think of my friend Honna Austin's art work, and so I am posting these pictures in her honor. If you are not interested in chairs, feel free to tell me what kind of pictures you would prefer to see in my next post.








3 comments:
Amanda, these photographs are so lovely!! How exciting for you!
Amanda,
I loved these images!! I wish I could have been there with you. Each chair looks so unique and seemed to embody a specific character. From the way they were arranged, it looked like a furniture beaty pageant. Thank you for thinking of me. Honna
You are ever so welcome! I forgot to mention that there was also a room where you could sit in different unusual chairs and watch film clips from old French movies that featured distinctive chairs from the 1960's. It is a truly amazing museum.
And I, for one, would love to see some of your work juxtaposed with some of these chairs!
Post a Comment