This is not to say that I do not support the projects of many of these same companies, but I do think it is important to interrogate just what these projects are and whether or not they are perpetuating the very power dynamics they claim to be ameliorating. In fact, one of the reasons I'm here in Paris is that I hope to make a connection or two in the world of "commerce equitable," the French translation of "fair trade."
Ultimately, I hope my work can result from a collaboration with both artists and those working within fair trade businesses and organizations, and be a way of disseminating insights from various sources that sometimes get a little lost in the various agendas.
If you'd like to learn more, you can start by checking out the website for the Fair Trade Federation (www.fairtradefederation.org)
All that goes to say is that I was very pleased to receive an email from an old college friend the other day telling me about a new company for which she is working, Trade as One (www.tradeasone.com). The website's content is clever, and differs from some of the usual fair trade rhetoric in a few interesting ways. They have a broad range of products that you might find appealing, and I would encourage you to check it out!
My favorite line from the website: "Diamonds are only a girl's best friend until she learns how they're mined."
And, a-hem, I hope that Krissy won't mind being interviewed by me for my work some time in the future.
Here are some earrings from their website:

While I'm advertising, Krissy also has her own jewelry company, which also has many lovely things, and you can find that at www.orangeboxjewelry.com.
Some Orange Box Jewelry earrings:

And I'll just keep going by reminding you of a site with which many of you are already familiar: www.africancraft.com. Africancraft.com is full of informative profiles in addition to containing a shop where you can find the Krobo beads that most of you know and love by now, in addition to Basotho weavings and much, much more.
Krobo beads available at africancraft.com:

This is brief, so Krissy and Siiri, feel free to jump in with anything else that you'd like to share!
No comments:
Post a Comment