Sunday, June 15, 2008

You could learn Hausa, too!

The intense in intensive language learning is no joke! I've had twenty hours of one on one tutoring in the past week, along with hours and hours of studying on my own. I've also been frantically getting together the paper that I'm presenting tomorrow evening. It is at an OK place, which is why I'm comfortable enough to jot a few words to you. Hey, I will get some photographs from Champaign to you soon, but in the meantime, did you know that you could get Hausa learning materials on Amazon.com? In addition to the more scholarly textbooks and dictionaries, I'm using, I have a CD-Rom from the Talk Now! series, which is pretty fun and funny. The makers evidently use the same models, and dub over their speech with each language.

And just so you know, the BBC website publishes articles in Hausa:






I can't read them yet, of course--but I can recognize enough words that I feel like I've made some progress in the last week!

No comments: