Monday, June 2, 2008

Packing Up. A-gain.


I'm still here for a couple of days, but my roommate has moved out. The plants are at their summer home at a friend's. The worms are being worm-sat by another friend. It isn't like the plants or the worms make a lot of noise, but in their absence, it seems all the more quiet around this apartment.

There's a list of academic work that I still need to attend to, but don't worry, I won't bore you with it. I'm already a bit bored by it. I spent a good bit of time today shuffling papers about, getting signatures on a form that the Guide to Graduate School at Cornell University booklet informed me last Friday I was supposed to have turned in last fall.

Oh well, no one else seemed concerned.

I also still have packing and cleaning to do. I've decided to ship myself some things, rather than dragging everything I will use over the next three months around to New York, and then risking its loss to the unkind checked baggage gods, who I understand to be more and more angry as fuel prices rise.

I'm also mulling over a little project I'd like to do to help out some Krobo beadmakers that I know, and how I could accomplish it most effectively.

But, of course, instead of being responsible, I just returned from the local health food co-op, to which I biked after realizing that there was no chocolate with a cocoa content above 70% in this house, a house already sans roommate, plants, and worms. Obviously unacceptable.

Oh--and for any worry-warts or would-be robbers, I have neighbors in the same building and a friend staying in my house over the summer, so it isn't a great burglary opportunity just because the guard-worms are gone. So there.

I'm pretty excited about my summer, although a little wistful, because I'd love a little vacation. I plan to relax a bit while I'm in Illinois, and I've slowed my pace considerably over the last few weeks, but.....Well, I really wanted a few days in Kentucky this summer. And doesn't a few days on the beach sound good? Or in the woods?

Just not the library (as much as I love the libraries here).

Oh well, a couple of days in New York City isn't bad, but I wish I'd really taken a vacation last week instead of relaxing more than usual and then feeling guilty about not working as much.

From PhD Comics:

My work ethic has revived this week, fortunately, although not sufficiently that I would forgo my high quality chocolate run and this little blog post, obviously. I've been a bit obsessed with She and Him, repeatedly listening to the tracks on their MySpace Page while I decided whether to purchase the album through iTunes or not.

You can check them out on YouTube, too:








Just to comfort those aforementioned worry-warts in the virtual room: there is a health food co-op two blocks from the apartment that I'm renting in Champaign.

Yes, I experienced some anxiety over that during my little trip this evening, before researching the matter (which I did before writing this blog post...a girl's got her priorities).

I didn't say that I wasn't a worry wart.

Well, my dears, I'm off to move things around long enough to convince myself that I'm packing, even though I'll move it all to different positions tomorrow morning when I decide to wear something that is resting a few layers under other pieces of clothing.

I'll close with one more treat from PhD Comics:

No comments: