Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Looking for Artistic Acts Provoked by the Power of Art



Last night, instead of doing my work, I read several reviews of a new documentary called "My Kid Could Paint That." It follows a family that lives only an hour away from Ithaca, in Binghamtom, New York. Evidently, a amateur painter and father helped his 4-year-old daughter to paint, and in following the ensuing commercial success of the work and the portrayal of her as a prodigy, the filmmaker raises questions about celebrity, abstract art, parenting, exploitation, and the art market.

Some links to the reviews:
http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/10/05/movies/05pain.html?ref=movies
http://www.slate.com/id/2175311/fr/flyout
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2007/10/06/my_kid/


And I know you've been worrying about that woman who kissed a Cy Twombly painting. She's on trial this week! And just a few days ago, drunken vandals at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris tore a Monet painting! The prosecution is incorporating this into their accusations against the amorous art enthusiast in the south of France. Some jewels from her testimony and public statements:

"I just gave it a kiss. It was an act of love, when I kissed it, I wasn't thinking. I thought the artist would understand."

"On the one hand you have a revoltingly bestial act of cruelty, on the other a pure, intense act of love. Rindy's gesture was an artistic act provoked by the power of art."






http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071009/od_afp/entertainmentfranceusarttrial
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/07/news/monet.php

No comments: